I am delighted to announce that my friend Steve Baskis has been chosen to receive the Louis Braille Award by the Associated Services for the Blind & Visually Impaired (ASB). This is a very prestigious honor recognizing the achievements of a blind person for the the visually impaired community (I won in 2007). The award ceremony is January 25 in Philadelphia and I plan to attend.
Steve is one of the wounded warriors from our first Soldiers To Summits program and he is now a mentor for the next S2S program. In 2008, he lost his eyesight in Iraq when a bomb exploded next to his vehicle, killing his best friend and seriously wounding Steve. Since he joined S2S, he has gone on to climb Kilimanjaro, Elbrus, and Mount Blanc. Steve is also starting a speaking career to share his story and inspire others.
Steve and me on the summit of Lobuche.
Leave a comment
- Watch the Expedition Impossible finale with the Gypsies and No Limits! - 29 comments
- My New Blog! - 20 comments
- Expedition Impossible Behind the Scenes #2 and 3 - 20 comments
- Expedition Impossible Behind the Scenes #5 - 18 comments
- Expedition Impossible Behind the Scenes #4 - 16 comments