Outside Magazine Online just published an article about the Ten Greatest Moments On Everest. Naturally, the list includes Tenzing Norgay and Ed Hillary’s first ascent and Reinhold Messner’s solo ascent. But my ascent is fourth on the list! That’s quite an honor to be included with those greats as well as Tom Hornbein, Willi Unsoeld, Apa Sherpa, and Göran Kropp.
I was disappointed, however, that Outside didn’t acknowledge my teammates who helped make my climb possible. So for the record, my thanks once again to team leader Pasquale “PV” Scaturro, Eric Alexander, Luis Benitez, Michael Brown, Sherman Bull and his son Brad, Jeff Evans, Steve Gipe, Didrik Johnck, Charley Mace, Chris Morris, and Mike O’Donnell! Also Kevin Cherilla, Kami Tenzing, and our many other support members.
Our team set some other records as well. We had the oldest climber at the time summit (Sherman Bull at age 64), the first American father/son team to summit (Sherman and Brad), and the largest team to summit in one day (11 out of 13 climbing team members plus 8 Sherpas).
Leave a comment
- Erik on Grand Canyon Expedition: Day #6 September 12, Photos & Update
- Michael Dean on Kayak Training
- Joe on No Barriers Grand Canyon Expedition Reflection
- Danna on No Barriers Grand Canyon Expedition Reflection
- Kathleen Archuleta on Kayaking Blind Grand Canyon Expedition Recap Video
- Watch the Expedition Impossible finale with the Gypsies and No Limits! - 29 comments
- My New Blog! - 20 comments
- Expedition Impossible Behind the Scenes #2 and 3 - 20 comments
- Expedition Impossible Behind the Scenes #5 - 18 comments
- Expedition Impossible Behind the Scenes #4 - 16 comments